5 top tips for staying mentally healthy
(Previously published on 10 October, 2017)
Everyday we come to recognise just how important mental wellbeing is, for everyday living, even in the work place…Did U know depression and anxiety alone, which are so common and can happen to anyone, costs the global economy $1 trillion a year in lost productivity (WHO data). Wow!!! …and we all know that the work place like other aspects of life, can have its triggers.
So this year, I offer 5 tips that can help on a daily basis ..Remember – THERE IS NO HEALTH WITHOUT MENTAL HEALTH
- WORK HARD BUT REST HARD– If you are a workaholic like myself, you know it can sometimes be a struggle to even take a break. There are times I have forgotten to have lunch. Lol! Working hard can be good but hey ho! Your brain needs rest. Don’t stretch your brain and body so much it gets fatigue and forces you to shut down mentally and physically. Get good rest and create sometime for fun and laughter.
- BUILD MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS – If all your relationships are surface level and built around having parties and fun, a time will come when you need someone to talk to, and those around you won’t have depth. Make sure you have people around you that you can call up, cry to, have deep conversations with and have your back.
- BE KIND TO YOURSELF – Oh my! this is one I have had to learn. My perfectionist friends… where are you?? We won’t always have it the way we want but pat yourself on the back even when it’s not great; grow from and laugh over your mistakes. It’s okay!
- DON’T SWEEP EMOTIONS UNDER THE CARPET – That you do not talk about it or deal with it, does not mean that It is not there. Buried negative emotions like anger have a way of erupting like wild fire even years later (My fellow Africans take note). Emotions should be processed and not covered or ignored – It is not healthy
- LOVE YOURSELF – “…. Because sometimes we miss that our flaws are part of our uniqueness and beauty.” Imagine the WHO we become when we come to peace with our strengths, weaknesses, flaws, etc.
- BE THANKFUL FOR EVEN LITTLE WINS – My bonus to you! It can sometimes be challenging seeing victories when you don’t have all the joy. Life has its many stresses but make sure you remember to celebrate those daily wins that remind you that in the midst of it all, there is hope.
**Because there is no health without mental health mindset**
Can you relate with any of this? Why not share in the comments box below… Also feel free to contact me via the “Contact” tab
© Dr Vivian O. Ikem, 2017